Monday, November 18, 2013

Kanjimon: Gotta Catch Em All Entry 3:奴

My Source is from Jim Breen's WWWJDIC or http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1C

Kanji Entry 3:

Character: 奴
On Reading:ド
Kun Reading:やつ、やっか
Stroke Count: 5
Radical:女
Possible English Definitions:Guy, Chap, Fellow, Manservant, slave

I found this kanji rather deceptive. I found this in dialogue of a game I'm translating, but used as a suffix, much like Kun,Chan,Sama are... However, from the variety of definitions that I received, it could either be very casual identification of friend or an demeaning insult. Although, I did find one entry through the WWWJDIC search where if it is used as a suffix, it is mostly demeaning. So, this is a tricky kanji in terms of connotation and usage. Honestly, I don't even think it is used often in other material. I could be wrong as my exposure to the japanese language is still limited overall, but so far, it seems a rare kanji as there are many other forms of insults that I see more often. However, it may be more used when speaking not in a casual setting? I don't know honestly.

On further inspection, I realized I was totally wrong on it being used a suffex in the sentence I pulled this kanji from. It has の in the sentence... this gives a totally different meaning. The sentence is「 フン、ユーグの奴、我を息切 って何 を企んているかと思えば、アサシンと手を組もう というの か」, Essentially meaning, "Heh, Yuug's Slave, What plan does he have a hand in to use the assassin's team to catch us." ... at least, I think that is what it essentially means. I'm still not that good at reading sentences, but it makes sense!

End of Entry





No comments:

Post a Comment