Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Kanjimon: Gotta Catch Em All Entry 2: 似合い

My Source is from Jim Breen's WWWJDIC or http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1C

Kanji Entry 2:

Kanji: 似合い
Kun reading: にあい
English meaning: Well-matched, suited

For this kanji, I just pulled randomly from Great Teacher Onizuka manga which may be something I'll be doing for right now as I haven't came across Kanji that I felt was worth noting on a blog. The kanji was picked from the first volume while flipping and stopping at a random page and pointing at a kanji.

The sentence is 「なかなか似合ってんじゃん!」in the manga. From what I know of pictures and context, probably roughly meaning "Aren't you well dressed" or something along that line. I tried to validate this through Google Translate, but it decided to crap itself than give me anything coherent."And Jan are you become quite", I'm fairly sure that isn't it.

So, the word is obviously best used in terms of how someone is dressed. Seems to give connotation it can be used to describe how appropriate something is together, but maybe I'm adding too much English sayings.

The kanji is a composite of Two kanjis: 似 and 合... Yep. I was planning to extend upon this, but three kanjis entries in one entry? That doesn't make any sense! THERE GOT TO BE ORDER IN HERE, DAMN IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment