Sunday, October 6, 2013

Kanjimon: Gotta Catch'm All! Entry 1: 以

Throughout my blog, I shall be trying to document one kanji a week. Very difficult kanji by that. Kanji that when I sit on my computer chair trying to figure out what the hell I am looking at since my project, which I don't believe I have talked of at this point, requires me to decipher bits of bits of Kanji in low resolution. Imagine making words out in alphabet soup, but instead, it's a bit of spilled rice.

My Source is from Jim Breen's WWWJDIC or http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1C - this place. Quite handy.


Kanji Entry 1:
Character:以
ON Reading: い
KUN Reading: もって
Five Strokes
The main radical, I believe, is 人.

English Definition: By Means of, Because, In View of, Compared with

I came across this Kanji during my work on a translation project. I found it to be very alien, so I had a difficulty in figuring out where it would be in the dictionary. In hind sight, should have been obvious that 人 is the radical, but it looked very alien at first sight! Especially in low-res.

So far, I don't think it is a standalone word. By that, there is always a kanji with it, so that obviously makes it an adverb or adjective.  The definition site doesn't exactly express this, but since から is used for the Grammar context of Because, it'd only make sense it'd be more of a description than Grammar or action\noun. 

The kanji I found it used in is 以上 or いじょう, and I have the definition as NoLessThen, but it can also be Further and the end. So, the context is a measurement of sorts.

Sentence I found using it, 「 でもこれ以上、引き止めるのはワガママですものね。」I'm not 100 percent on translation, but I think it's saying along the lines of, But to hold you here any longer is selfish. 

I think that is it for this Entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment