In the beginning, I always wanted to learn japanese when I was in high school. Of course, there was no class for it, and there was even a 'nerd' stigma behind it since manga and anime were looked down at. So, I never bothered. As well, learning german through the class, I felt maybe I couldn't learn a language, specifically Japanese which is considered difficult.
Skip a few years after, I fond myself going through my list of games I have enjoyed. Specifically Exile. I did an LP of it, actually. I was so obsessed at finding the real experience of the game that I found a pc-98 and a PC-88 emulator. Didn't know japanese, and just played as much as I can. Upon this, I found and purchase a japanese game of Yu-yu hakusho for the PCEngine which I also LP'd. This started my desire to learn japanese. Mostly out of necessity since I didn't understand the game much, so I tried to figure out the booklet. I didn't get too far, but did understood ths and that from the use of Google Translate and the Hiragana\katakana chart. This is probably the first step in where I am now (Unfortunately, that isn't very far as of my current writing)
I then decided to partake my quest... to transcribe, translate, and then Let's Play a japanese game that I have quite a love for. I am writing out every japanese character, sentence, and commands I can from this game. I'll translate it the best I can, then proceed to write a script for me so when I LP it, I know when or what to say as I doubt my active reading will be quick.
This is the main reason I developed this blog is to write out my progress. Maybe a bit of hope for exposure since, well, it'd be nice to be recognized and even possibly asked to do jobs as a translator... A man can dream damn it!
Although, I'm sure nobody would hire me at this rate as I have the japanese ability of a baby. Actually, a baby may have a stronger vocabulary than I.
Time to write out my progress:
I am roughly 50 percent within the game as far as footage is recorded for my transcribing work. 40 percent transcribed with kanjis labeled.
As far as my general Japanese, been doing a lot of flashcard practices and studying the Genki Textbook. This has expanded my vocabulary, but limited to the textbook in use and perhaps in real life situations if I had to express a SIMPLE thought in Japanese. I know for a fact that I can ask where a McDonalds is at, so I will never be hungry in Japan... just fat.
No comments:
Post a Comment